Thursday, 5 June 2008

Rolling Road Day





Today was rolling road day to set the car up, after reworking the fuel system and fitting a new distributor I wanted the car set up under load to gain optimum performance for the European trip. I’m sure many of you will skip this page including Katie who so kindly highlighted ‘that meant nothing to me’!! after I painstakingly explained the virtues of setting up a car on a rolling road.

Now where did I put my anorak!!!

Anyway moving on! I used Wallace performance in Aberdeen that has a four wheel rolling road set up, apparently a very accurate rolling road. For the tests we decided to limit the max revs to 5,500 rpm, although it revs up to 7,000 rpm it really starts running out of steam about 6,500 and secondly for normal road use I change up before the 5,500 rpm mark. Furthermore TVR claim the car is 275 bhp at 5,500 rpm, hmmm! But in reality other owners have quoted figures between 210 and 240 bhp at full revs.

On the first power run fuel and timing was checked giving 200 bhp, this at first seemed low but it was in the region of what other owner have quoted if I had used full rev range, so that was fine. For the second run the timing was adjusted and fuelling was left as it seem fine although there was a spike in the fuelling at 5,200 rpm, just a blip in the power band. After adjustment of the timing a 10 bhp gain was made at up to 4,000 rpm giving much better torque, upper bhp was more or less the same although the fuelling spike remained but not really noticeable.

Prior to the trip I am going to fit an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and do a filter change to try and smooth out the fuelling spike at the upper rev range, apart from that and a decent clean and polish the TVR is ready for the trip to Europe.

Cheerio
Hamish & Katie